A Blog about The World FUCKING Champion Philadelphia Phillies, from an obsessed fan's perspective.

Monday, April 13, 2009

RIP, Harry K.

It's a sad day for sports fans all across Philadelphia, and Philadelphia fans all across the country. It was announced today that the legendary voice of the Phillies for 38 years, Harry Kalas passed away. So many generations of Phillies fans grew up listening to Harry's calls, and his legendary call of Michael Jack Schmidt's 500th career shot is still simply incredible to listen to. So many good things have been said about the life and career of Harry K in the last few hours, and they're all well deserved, but still do not do justice to the man with that great play by play voice. He was so much more than just an announcer to so many people, whether it was to the Phillie players, Phillie fans, colleagues, or sports fan all across the country.

I wasn't nearly as familiar with Kalas as most fans, despite being a Phils fan my entire life. I was never really able to hear Harry call live games until MLB.tv came out and I could watch every game with the Phillies feed. Regardless, I still felt a big loss today when I turned on ESPNews and saw the breaking news on the bottom line.

I've heard so many great things said about Harry from people who knew him, and from people who had just met him briefly and spoke with him for minute. He would always make time to talk to fans.

So, as I sit here watching the Phillies take on the Nationals in the 3rd inning, I just have to smile when Sarge and Wheels talk about Harry so fondly. Whether it's remembering his Michael Jack longball calls, or talking about Harry's love for those white shoes, I just smile. I sure hope the Phils can pull out a victory today for Harry, because I'm sure he's watching down and calling the game, we just can't hear him.

RIP, Harry. You will be missed dearly. My thoughts and prayers are with the entire Kalas family and the Phillies organization and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment